5-ASA induced nephrotoxicity is rare and we estimate that each hospital will be looking after no more than 5 patients. Identifying patients may be difficult and below are some possible methods to consider. We have also produced a hints and tips document (pdf) which might help in this process.
- Clinician recall – Most gastroenterologists will remember the names of their patients who developed this complication
- Search the local IT/IBD database with these codes;
ICD10 K50 – K51 (IBD diagnosis)And either renal biopsy (M081 OPCS) or classified as having renal failure (ICD10 N18, N19)including any free text or notes field
- Talk to the renal phyicians at your local renal unit. Some centres may have a database which you may wish to interrogate.
- We will identify whether your instituition previously reported cases to the 2004 BSG-RA survey investigating 5ASA nephrotoxicity and forward on their details so that you can approach these individuals
- Direct referral from patients. This study has been advertised directly to patients via the CCUK website and newsletter.